Astrology for April
Join Susan on April 3rd, 9:30 am to 11:15, for her virtual monthly astrology group, on Zoom. Sign up here. She will offer a detailed view of this time, with a Q and A time as well
April’s newsletter is divided into sections, The Astrological background to these times, April planetary alignments and the 12 signs, for your ease in choosing what interests you. Be sure to read, ”We can lean into Jupiter”
As I sit in my study, outside the window, the sky weeps its rain. The day is grey. And yet spring is here with the birch budding out in that bright green, the cymbidiums are in bloom, and the rose bushes are filling their branches with unfurling leaves. There’s a new experience of quiet outside that settles on the neighborhood and the hillsides. We are in uncharted territory of being. I awake with anxiety, concern, and compassion as I hear the news like a powerful reoccurring drumbeat, a broadcast of dread. And yet as I turn to our virtual world I tune into teachers and visionaries that support our resilience and the awakening of our hearts. It is a time of choice for those of us huddled in our homes, how do we want to consciously engage in these times? What is our intention now for ourselves and for our community?
In astrology the planets and their processes are described through mythic themes and stories. Right now we are experiencing those mythic themes in a dramatic and startling way. We are also creating our own mythic stories as well, both personally and collectively, as we move through these unprecedented times.
2020, the Turning Point Year
Why the turning point year? It is a turning point because of two major astrological events this year, one of which we are now fully engaged in:
1) Saturn conjunct Pluto joined by Jupiter in Capricorn. The astrology calls for perseverance and to continuously attune to the long view, to the more distant goal. We are held (meaning no way to get around it) to confront a reality (Saturn) that brings us through Pluto’s domain, ‘the underworld’. The world as we know it is suddenly being disrupted by hidden forces. We are being abducted from our usual daily life, (Pluto). Systems and structures are being dismantled, displaying what is no longer working, and, in fact, what is deadly and toxic, bringing about a transformation of our awareness, a transformation to our societies and to our collective sense of ourselves. It is exposing our misconceptions in order to clear the way for the collective understanding of our profound interrelatedness. We are having the experience of being vulnerable to the uncertainties that are now stretched before us. And yet Pluto’s name also refers to ‘hidden riches’, something rich and fertile in the dark of this time to be revealed. We are finding our open-heartedness and our courage. Many are taking courageous action to care for others. We are finding our humor and resiliency to create and adapt. The Saturn Pluto process is sounding the immediate need to radically reconsider how we regard each other, how we govern ourselves and take care of this Earth.
2) Jupiter conjuncts Saturn in Aquarius marks another momentous event taking place later in the year. It signals the ending of an historical era that stretched from 1870 to 2020, while initiating a new cycle for our ideals and our collaborations with each other, that will grow over the next 20 to 240 years. It represents a shift in our collective values. This conjunction is called “the Great Mutation.”
The Description of Archetypal/Planetary dynamics:
Right now we are in Saturn’s spectrum of archetypal correspondences. When we experience one end of the spectrum we can know the other qualities are present as well. Saturn moves from fear and depression, to resilient stability, steadiness, perseverance, and on to mastery. Our fear and anxiety are Saturn’s open door to come inside. Today we are totally in Saturn’s domain! Solitary or engaged with challenges, isolated in our own homes, and facing a great obstacle! Obstacles are a Saturn construction, for it pushes us to resource ourselves from within. Saturn’s home is inner stillness. Our isolation becomes a conscious ‘retreat’. This is Saturn’s call, its ultimate aim. It is here we find our clarity and determination to rise to the task before us. Some call it courage, a strengthening of the heart.
Activated into action from this Plutonian descent into the unknown we are reweaving ourselves into our world, with recalibration and reinvention. We are experiencing the polarity of this time, the quickly spreading virus, the fear that grips the world, juxtaposed to the heroic actions of doctors, nurses, and all who care for others. We experience our own challenges as well, as we meet our shadows, our unresolved trauma or complexes. Many will find themselves clearing, organizing and releasing.
“Pluto requires that one descend into the deepest recesses of one’s soul, to stand alone and find integrity, value and security in that isolation.” (Erin Sullivan, Retrograde Planets)
Jupiter Pluto conjunction
We feel the shaking of our foundations, for shaking they are. As Jupiter and Pluto conjunct in April intensifying and expanding the situation we are in. We must persevere in our endeavors (Capricorn), cultivate patience, and thoughtfully rebuild our foundation step by sturdy step, just as the Capricorn mountain goat navigates the steep faces of craggy mountains. Pluto empowers Jupiter’s function of increase and so we see the virus coming to a crest and peak during the first three weeks of April.
We can lean into the planet Jupiter as it gives us vital information for protection and well being. Again it repeats the Capricorn theme to engage directly with the practicalities of the moment. Attune to your own steady endurance and breath. Through Jupiter’s expansive nature each encounter can be an opening to learn, trusting in something larger than ourselves. With Jupiter, we are utilizing our imaginative powers to create, to envision our goals, our destination, and a renewed world. In so doing we are expanding our ability to receive grace and protection, the domain of Jupiter. It helps us to open to the synchronicity of the universe, and to the wisdom of the guidance we receive. We stay in touch with what we are grateful for. This is the time.
The Metaphor of these times in Story:
We can imagine our journey is like this: We are journeying together to get to our destination. We are now in the high mountains. (terrain of Capricorn) The land is rugged and wild. We have not known it or seen it before as we do now
to continue reading click here
Background planetary alignments shaping April’s astrology
Saturn entered Aquarius on March 21 until July, when it slips back into Capricorn
As Saturn enters Aquarius it focuses us to create new forms of how we relate to each other in community, and in the global community as well. We see this taking place as virtual forms of communication and community quickly take on reality. Saturn in Aquarius redefines what is meaningful to us as a community. It builds new foundations for community. It asks for new structures to be put in place that recognize our interrelatedness. It applies pressure to the status quo, giving form to the clear intelligent sight and the visionary possibilities of Aquarius. (It challenges the President to get the facts).
On March 24, the New Moon in Aries was conjunct Chiron, the wounded Healer.
The new Moon highlights the theme that unfolds during the following 4 weeks. Here we have the theme of Chiron: the wounding, the descent into another way of being, the separation, the release of some gift to humanity, and the reintegration and healing.
Mercury conjunct Neptune in Pisces: Now with Mercury conjunct Neptune in Pisces, we are extremely sensitive to the waves of emotion and thoughts that are being experienced through our families, through the community, the country, and around the Earth. Knowing how sensitive we are at this time, we can limit the news but stay informed. Let us attune to Neptune’s higher frequencies, the presence of loving kindness, of music and spirituality. Neptune brings us to understanding sacred time, stepping out of ordinary routines, while deeply honoring the present with respect and deep listening.
April Celestial Events:
1. Mar 30 – Mars enters Aquarius, stimulating our need to gather and work together toward our ideals and future possibilities. Sharing of information and group collaborations are favored. On the March 31st Mars conjuncts Saturn, marking a time of tighter controls and discipline. Simplify. Focus sharpens. Action becomes disciplined.
2. April 3 – Venus enters Gemini, marks a time of valuing our connections with each other, finding ways to share information and support. Be alert to becoming too scattered and overwhelmed by too much info. Mercury conjunct Neptune in Pisces see above
3. Apr 4 – Jupiter conjuncts Pluto at 25 Capricorn, see above
4. Apr 7 – Full Moon at 19 Libra, Sun in Aries – Now finding our balance is highlighted both internally, (grounding and centering), and externally, (that careful balance between relationship and being solitary). Between activity and contemplation. Since the Moon in Libra is opposite the gathering of planets between Capricorn and Gemini, this Moon channels the energy of all the planetary forces. The keywords are balance and bringing our minds and hearts to a place of equilibrium. Collectively, Libra is the sign of social justice and fairness.
5. Apr 10 – Mercury enters Aries our focus sharpens, our thoughts clarify, precision and discernment are supported especially after Mercury’s 2 ½ months in boundariless and empathic Pisces
6. Apr 14-15 – Sun in Aries squares the Pluto Jupiter conjunction in Capricorn, This is a potent time where we feel the power of the effects of the pandemic. Use this time to stabilize your resilience, perseverance and faith in the goal ahead. Mercury conjuncts Chiron – our thoughts turn to healing, personal healing as well as what healing means for the collective. Reach out for and contribute to this collective healing. Be sensitive to your own issues for healing arising
7. Apr 19-20 – The Sun enters Taurus, then squares Saturn in Aquarius. When the Sun enters Taurus there is a stabilizing, a settling into, after the fury of Aries. Perhaps by this time, we experience a clearing into the way forward, and we begin to feel some of the economic and financial affects of Emergency Aid Bill as it starts to deliver. It is said that the Sun carries the light from Pluto on April 14 to Saturn on April 20th and weaves together once again the Saturn Pluto conjunction. The beauty of Spring is present as we stay the course toward our long range goal.
8.Apr 22 – New Moon in Taurus, conjunct Uranus, squaring Saturn, Jupiter. Taurus is a stabilizing force yet there continues to be uncertainty, and sudden changes as we settle into new grounding. Breakthroughs are possible. This New Moon calls for flexibility and steadiness. Set your course and remain flexible.
9. Apr 26 – The Sun at 6 Taurus conjuncts Uranus – This New Moon theme continues as the Sun conjuncts Uranus exactly
The Twelve signs for April 2020: For Sun and Rising Signs
(Did you see that cartoon where each Zodiac sign said the same thing? “Stay home! Be safe” Great advise!)
Aries (Mar 20-Apr 19): I can imagine, Aries, with activity in your bones, this is such a challenging time. But it can also be a relief, slowing down and finding new equilibrium, a time of cultivating patience. On the other hand you may have become deeply immersed in projects that you have been putting off for quite awhile. With Mars lighting up connections with others for you, and the full moon in Libra, opposite your Sun, be sure that you are connected to friends and groups that share your interests. You may find yourself working with another on a project, connected virtually.
Taurus (Apr 20-May 20): You feel the demand of a strenuous task before you. With Saturn and Mars at the top of your chart, at the Full Moon, you are called to simplify, and focus on that larger goal. Cut away what is unnecessary. This is a change year for your sense of identity, especially if you are born from April 20 to May 2. It can liberate you in ways you don’t expect.
Gemini (May 21-Jun 20): With Venus entering Gemini and in harmony with both Saturn and Mars at the full Moon, is it possible for you to dive into artistic pursuits at this time? You are entering an interesting phase of relatedness and creativity, as Venus stays in Gemini until August 7th, due to its retrograde motion! Venus is a soothing influence and can help to soften your heart as you connect with others.
Cancer (Jun 21–Jul 21): The full Moon graces your chart in the area of your home, family, and settling into your inner life. While the Aries energy may be pulling you outward, you find the balance, reflecting on what you feel and finding ways to deeply nurture yourself. The new Moon in Taurus conjunct Uranus encourages you to experiment, give it a try, and embody your unique expression.
Leo (Jul 22 – Aug 22): This full moon encourages you to give yourself over to learning something new, to studying a philosophy, to read and write. Across from your Leo, Saturn and Mars have entered Aquarius, so you may feel the extra responsibility of caring for another. You are aware of how you feel at times limited and also how you want to limit and utilize your precious time. Saturn always tells us to simplify.
Virgo (Aug 23-Sep 22): Now you find a balance between deeply supporting others and nurturing yourself. When Mercury leaves Pisces and enters Aries on the 10th you feel the shift and suddenly you are ready to engage more intellectually. The New Moon in Taurus on the 22nd helps to ground your restless mind, and moves you beyond your worry.
Libra (Sep 23-Oct 22): During this full Moon in Libra your needs to be connected, your ability to support others can be intensified. As always, but especially with this Full Moon, it is important for you to find a balance between your own needs and those in relationships. Some Libras will need more connection, some less. With Venus in harmony with your Sun sign this is an excellent time for all artistic pursuits, as well as broadening your knowledge on any matter that appeals to you.
Scorpio (Oct 23-Nov 21): Dear Scorpio, with Saturn moving into Aquarius, you feel the responsibility of your obligations. During this Full Moon, Tuesday April 7th create a time to retreat and see if you can allow yourself to deeply relax. I see much activity around your home which may, at times, be challenging for you. The potential here is to lean into flexibility while not losing a sense of your own focus, or the structure you hold for others.
Sagittarius (Nov 22-Dec 20): Dear Sagittarius, with your planet, Jupiter, now conjuncting Pluto, your feelings of intensity are very present. You may have lately focused on a large project and found or are finding the drive to accomplish your goals. Your sense of self is strong, as the Sun in Aries supports your creative expression. Don’t forget to pace yourself.
Capricorn (Dec 21- Jan 19): Dear Capricorn, perhaps you are feeling a shift from a usual internal pressure as Saturn leaves Capricorn. What you may feel is the intensity of Jupiter conjuncting Pluto, so you are ready for a change? What is it that you want to develop or transform? Now you have the momentum to activate those transformations. You’re ready to break out into new ways of expressing yourself. Go for it.
Aquarius (Jan 20-Feb 17): Are you experiencing Saturn in Aquarius now? Feels like we all are. This can magnify your feelings of containment or it can support you in simplifying and focusing your energy toward your goals. Right now you can attune to discipline and follow through, harnessing that attention of yours which loves to learn and connect with others.
Pisces (Feb 18-Mar 19): Dear Pisces, Mercury has been in Pisces since February 10th! And in the last number of weeks close to Neptune, amplifying your feelings, and creating so much more sensitivity to the collective waves of emotion. With the sign Pisces so activated overwhelm would be expected, especially these days. On April 10th Mercury enters Aries and you notice a shift, so much easier to focus. Be sure to nurture yourself even as you continue to tap into the well being of others.
Susan Heinz is a professional astrologer in Santa Cruz for 35 years, bringing together traditional & esoteric astrology, Tarot and Qabalah. For info on her Friday monthly astrology groups, her Qabalah, astrology and or, painting classes, and for personal consultations, call (831) 479-3751, or go to www.susanheinz.com.